The bed you sleep on is more than just a piece of furniture - it's your nightly refuge, the key to a good night's sleep, and an essential part of your overall well-being. Given the variety of options on the market, choosing the perfect mattress can seem like a daunting task.
But if you're leaning toward an innerspring mattress, you're in luck. This guide will help you sift through the various types, sizes, and firmness levels to find the innerspring mattress that's just right for you.
- How to Pick the Best Innerspring Mattress
- Why Choose an Innerspring Mattress
- The Types of Innerspring Coils
- Innerspring Mattress and Sleeping Position
- Importance of Firmness in an Innerspring Mattress
- The Lifespan of an Innerspring Mattress
- Price Range: What to Expect When Buying an Innerspring Mattress
- Final Thoughts
How to Pick the Best Innerspring Mattress
Picking an innerspring mattress is not as simple as saying, "I'll take that one." There are several factors to consider:
- Material Quality: Examine the quality of the coils and the other materials used in the mattress. You'll want heavy-gauge coils for longevity and comfort.
- Coil Count: While more isn't always better, a higher coil count generally means better support and more comfort.
- Mattress Top: The mattress top can be firm, plush, or even have a pillow top, depending on your preference.
- Warranty: Always a significant factor. Most quality innerspring mattresses offer a warranty of at least 10 years.
- Test Drive: If possible, lie down on the mattress in various positions to gauge its comfort level.
Why Choose an Innerspring Mattress
When foam mattresses are all the rage, why would anyone opt for an innerspring mattress? Well, there are a few compelling reasons:
- Better Airflow: Unlike foam, the spring structure allows for better circulation, making these mattresses cooler to sleep on.
- Greater Bounce: Many people prefer the responsive feel of an innerspring mattress.
- Durability: Quality innerspring mattresses can last for many years.
- Familiarity: Innerspring mattresses have been around for a long time, offering a familiar feel that many sleepers appreciate.
The Types of Innerspring Coils
Not all coils are created equal. There are four main types of innerspring coils:
- Most common and oldest coil type
- Great for budget shoppers but may lack longevity
- Similar to Bonnell but with flattened top and bottom ends
- Provides a more contoured fit
- Made from a single, long wire
- Generally firmer and more durable
- Each coil is wrapped in fabric
- Allows for more targeted support and reduces motion transfer
Innerspring Mattress and Sleeping Position
- Side Sleepers: Generally benefit from a softer top for shoulder and hip comfort.
- Back Sleepers: A medium-firm mattress will provide enough support while cradling the lower back.
- Stomach Sleepers: Typically require a firmer mattress to keep the spine aligned.
Importance of Firmness in an Innerspring Mattress
Firmness is not just about comfort - it can affect your health. A too-soft mattress can lead to poor spinal alignment, while a too-firm mattress may not provide adequate pressure relief. Consider your body type, weight, and sleeping position when choosing firmness levels.
The Lifespan of an Innerspring Mattress
Don't be fooled; even the best innerspring mattresses won't last forever. On average, an innerspring mattress has a lifespan of 7-10 years. It's crucial to check for sagging and reduced support as your mattress ages, as these are signs that it may be time for a replacement.
Price Range: What to Expect When Buying an Innerspring Mattress
Expect to spend anywhere from $300 for a basic model to over $2,000 for a luxury innerspring mattress. The price will be influenced by factors like coil type, material quality, and added features like pillow tops or infused gel layers.
Selecting an innerspring mattress isn't just about pointing at one in a showroom. From understanding coil types to assessing your sleep position and desired firmness, there are many variables to consider.
With this guide, you're armed with the knowledge to make an educated choice, paving the way for many nights of sound sleep.
$1,350 in savings
Unlock your ultimate sleep solution with Puffy.
Explore our award-winning Puffy mattress collection with these extra luxury benefits:
- Award-winning comfort.
- Lifetime warranty.
- 101-night sleep trial.
- Free shipping and returns.
- 100% made in USA.