A big move is almost always accompanied by mounting anxiety. Is one truck even enough to fit all your things? What if you lose your most valuable possessions in transit? How long will it take to unpack everything and set up your new place?
Amid all the worrisome thoughts, protecting your mattress with a mattress bag might be the last thing on your mind. But it should actually be higher up on your list of priorities.
Moving your mattress may not seem like it requires considerable effort. After all, as long as you can load your mattress atop a truck and it doesn’t go flying off the roof in the middle of the highway, your bases are essentially covered.
But a high-quality mattress is no small investment, and when you’re transporting it, it’s worth putting in some extra effort to protect your bed.
Here, we take a look at the benefits of mattress bags and how to use one to make your big move easier.
What Is A Mattress Bag?
A mattress bag is a specially designed protective cover that fits over your mattress to safeguard it from dirt, dust, and damage during the moving process. These bags are typically made from heavy-duty, durable plastic material that can withstand the rigors of moving. They come in various sizes, matching the standard dimensions of mattresses — from Twin to King size, and even specially tailored options for memory foam, pillow-top designs, or hybrid mattresses.
Why Do You Need a Mattress Bag for Moving?
You might wonder why you need a mattress bag for moving. Here's the reason: mattresses are considerable investments, often costing hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Given their cost and their critical role in our daily comfort and wellbeing, it's essential to protect them from potential harm during a move.
Moving involves a lot of handling, transporting, and sometimes even storing. Throughout this process, a mattress bag serves as a protective shield for your mattress, maintaining its quality and extending its lifespan. Here's why a mattress bag is crucial:
- Protection from Dirt and Dust: During transportation, your mattress can easily pick up dirt and dust, which is not only unhygienic but can also trigger allergies. Once your mattress gets dirty, it's challenging to get it completely clean again. A mattress bag can prevent this from happening, ensuring your sleeping surface remains spotless.
- Prevention of Damage: Despite their size and weight, mattresses are relatively delicate. They aren't immune to scratches, scuffs, or tears. Sharp edges, rough surfaces, or accidental knocks can damage the fabric and internal materials. A mattress bag adds a layer of protection, preventing such damages.
- Shielding from Weather: If you're moving on a rainy or snowy day, a waterproof mattress bag will keep your mattress dry. It's also a good defense against extreme temperatures, UV damage, and humidity. Exposure to these conditions can degrade the materials in your mattress, reducing its comfort and durability.
- Pest Prevention: During a move, your mattress might come into contact with warehouses or trucks that could be home to pests like bed bugs. A mattress bag keeps these unwanted critters out, ensuring you're not bringing any stowaways to your new home.
In essence, a mattress bag is a cost-effective way to provide comprehensive protection for your mattress during the stressful process of moving. It's a minor expense compared to the cost of replacing or professionally cleaning a mattress, making it a smart investment for a hassle-free move.
How to Use a Mattress Bag
Using a mattress bag for moving is relatively straightforward, but there are a few steps you can follow to make sure you're maximizing the protection it offers. Here's a simple guide on how to use a mattress bag:
- Buy the Right Size: First, ensure that the mattress bag you've purchased fits your mattress. They come in various sizes designed to fit twin, full, queen, king, and California king mattresses. Some are also designed to accommodate different mattress thicknesses or special types like pillow-top mattresses.
- Clear and Clean the Mattress: Before putting your mattress in the bag, clean it to remove any dust or stains. You can vacuum it or use specialized mattress cleaning products. Ensure it's dry before proceeding to the next step.
- Slide the Mattress In: Enlist the help of another person, if possible, to slide the mattress into the bag. Start from one end and gradually work your way to the other. Be gentle to avoid ripping the bag or damaging the mattress.
- Seal It Up: Once your mattress is in the bag, seal it. Some bags come with an adhesive seal, while others may need to be closed with packing tape. Ensure you seal it tightly to keep out dirt, moisture, and pests.
- Move with Care: Even with the mattress bag on, it's crucial to move your mattress carefully. Avoid dragging it on the ground, and ensure it doesn't get caught on sharp corners or edges that could rip the bag.
By following these steps, you can ensure your mattress remains protected during your move. Remember, a mattress bag is not just a sack; it's an essential tool for safeguarding your sleep investment from potential moving hazards.
How to Put On a Mattress Bag
Using a mattress bag is straightforward. Here are the steps:
- Start with a Clean Mattress: Before you put your mattress in the bag, ensure it is clean and dry.
- Open the Bag: Hold the open end of the bag and shake it a bit to fill it with air.
- Slide the Bag On: Position the bag at one end of the mattress. Gently slide it over the mattress, adjusting the bag as necessary to ensure a snug fit.
- Ensure Full Coverage: The mattress should be fully enclosed within the bag for maximum protection. Check to ensure that all corners are covered.
How to Seal a Mattress Bag
Sealing a mattress bag is an essential step to ensure it offers full protection. Here are the steps to properly seal a mattress bag:
- Push Out Air: Once the mattress is inside, compress the bag to push out excess air. This makes it easier to handle and move around.
- Tape It Up: Use packing tape to seal the open end of the bag. Run the tape along the entire edge to create a secure seal.
- Double Check: After sealing, give your mattress bag a once-over to confirm there are no openings where dust or moisture could enter.
Where to Buy a Mattress Bag
Mattress bags are readily available in several places. Physical stores like home improvement outlets, moving supply stores, and even some larger supermarkets usually carry them.
Online marketplaces like Amazon, U-Haul, and specialty moving supply websites offer a wide selection as well. Be sure to check the dimensions and material of the bag before making a purchase to ensure it's the right fit for your mattress.
A mattress bag is a valuable tool during a move, offering protection to your valuable mattress from potential damages. It's a relatively small investment that can save you from the significant expense of replacing or deep cleaning your mattress. With the right mattress bag and proper use, you can make your move smoother and keep your bed in pristine condition.
$1,350 in savings
Unlock your ultimate sleep solution with Puffy.
Explore our award-winning Puffy mattress collection with these extra luxury benefits:
- Award-winning comfort.
- Lifetime warranty.
- 101-night sleep trial.
- Free shipping and returns.
- 100% made in USA.