In the quest for a clutter-free bedroom and a restful night’s sleep, a DIY platform bed with drawers presents an elegant and practical solution. Not just a centerpiece for your room, this bed offers ample storage without sacrificing style.
Whether you’re a seasoned DIY enthusiast or a beginner, this guide will walk you through creating your own platform bed, tailored to fit a comfortable and supportive mattress.
How to Build a Platform Bed with Drawers
Building a platform bed with drawers is an excellent way to add storage and style to your bedroom. Here’s a detailed guide on constructing a sturdy and functional bed.
Materials and Tools Needed
- Lumber: Quality wood (pine, oak, or your choice) cut to specified lengths for the frame, drawers, and slats.
- Hardware: Screws, drawer slides, and handles.
- Tools: Power drill, saw (circular or hand saw), sander, and screwdriver.
Design Planning: First, sketch your bed design, including dimensions and the number of drawers. Standard queen bed dimensions are 60x80 inches, but customize according to your space and needs.
- Build the bed frame using 2x4 lumber for the base and 1x4 lumber for the bed’s sides.
- Assemble the frame using screws, ensuring corners are square.
- Construct drawers using 1x4 lumber for the sides and a thinner plywood for the bottom.
- Install drawer slides on both the bed frame and drawers, according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Slide the drawers into place, attaching the drawer fronts after ensuring a perfect fit.
- Add handles or knobs to the drawer fronts.
Slats and Finishing Touches:
- Lay slats across the frame, spacing them evenly. Secure with screws if desired.
- Sand the bed frame and drawers, then finish with paint or stain for a polished look.
Mattress Placement: Finally, place your mattress on top of the slats. For enhanced comfort, consider a high-quality mattress that provides excellent support and durability.
Puffy mattresses are designed to provide optimal support and comfort, making them an ideal choice for DIY bed builders.
How to Build a Slatted Platform Bed with Drawers
A slatted platform bed offers added breathability for your mattress, ensuring a cooler sleep environment. Here’s how to incorporate slats into your platform bed design with drawers. Materials and tools needed are similar to the platform bed, with the addition of more lumber for slats.
Frame and Drawer Construction: Follow the initial steps outlined in the basic platform bed construction, ensuring the frame accommodates slat spacing.
- Cut slats from quality lumber, ensuring they’re uniform in size.
- Sand each slat to prevent snags or splinters.
- Space slats evenly across the frame, usually 2-3 inches apart, to allow for optimal air circulation.
- Secure the slats to the side rails using screws or durable wood glue.
- Once the bed is assembled, apply your choice of finish to protect the wood and enhance its appearance.
- Consider varnish or a sealant that complements your bedroom decor.
Mattress Placement: Position your mattress on the slatted surface. Utilizing a breathable mattress ensures your bed remains cool and comfortable, enhancing the benefits of the slatted design.
Interested in how Puffy stacks up against other brands? Check out our mattress comparisons: Puffy vs Purple, Puffy vs Nectar, Puffy vs Casper, Puffy vs Leesa, Puffy vs Saatva, Puffy vs DreamCloud, and Puffy vs Tuft and Needle.
How to Assemble Platform Bed with Drawers
Assembling a platform bed with drawers may seem daunting, but with the right approach, it can be a straightforward and rewarding project. Here’s how to tackle the assembly process efficiently.
- Organize Your Workspace: Clear a large area for assembly and lay out all parts and tools for easy access.
- Inventory Parts: Check that you have all necessary components and hardware as per the bed’s design plans or kit instructions.
Assemble the Drawers:
- Start by assembling the drawers since they can be the most time-consuming part. Attach the sides, bottom, and back of each drawer, ensuring they fit snugly.
- Install the drawer slides on the bed frame and the sides of each drawer according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Build the Bed Frame:
- Construct the main frame by attaching the side rails to the head and foot rails. If your design includes a center support rail, attach it as well.
- Ensure the frame is square by measuring diagonally from corner to corner. Adjustments should be made before final tightening of screws.
Install the Drawer Assembly:
- Slide the assembled drawers into their respective slots in the bed frame. Adjust the drawer slides if necessary to ensure smooth operation.
- Attach the drawer fronts, making sure they are flush with the bed frame and evenly spaced.
Add the Slats or Solid Platform:
- Lay down the slats evenly across the frame. If your design uses a solid platform, place it on top of the frame.
- Secure the slats or platform to the frame with screws to prevent shifting.
- Sand any rough edges and apply your chosen finish to the bed and drawers.
- Once the finish has dried, place your mattress on the platform.
How to Take Apart a Platform Bed with Drawers
Whether you’re moving or simply rearranging your space, knowing how to disassemble your platform bed with drawers is essential.
- Clear the Area: Make sure you have enough space to work and to organize the disassembled parts.
- Gather Tools: Have the necessary tools on hand for taking apart the bed, typically a screwdriver and/or a power drill.
Remove the Mattress:
- Start by removing the mattress from the platform bed. This reduces weight and makes the frame easier to handle.
Take Out the Drawers:
- Remove all drawers from the bed frame. If the drawer fronts were attached separately, consider removing them for easier transport.
Dismantle the Slats or Platform:
- Carefully unscrew and remove the slats or solid platform from the frame. Label or number them if they are specific to certain positions for easier reassembly.
Disassemble the Frame:
- Begin with the side rails, detaching them from the head and foot rails. If there’s a center support, remove it as well.
- Keep all screws and hardware in a labeled bag or container to prevent loss.
Organize and Store Parts:
- Group similar parts together and, if possible, use stretch wrap or ties to keep them bundled. Store hardware in a labeled bag or box.
Pairing your DIY platform bed with a Puffy Lux Mattress not only ensures a stylish bedroom setup but also guarantees a night of restful sleep, thanks to its superior comfort and durability.
Building a DIY platform bed with drawers is a rewarding project that adds value and charm to your bedroom. By following this guide, you can create a customized sleeping solution that perfectly fits your space, style, and storage needs. Remember, the key to a great night’s sleep is not just the bed frame but also the mattress you choose.
Upgrade to unmatched support with the Puffy Midnight Foundation.
Enjoy peaceful sleep on this sturdy, noise-free mattress foundation:
- Supports up to 1,000 lbs.
- Easy assembly.
- Lifetime warranty.
- 101-night sleep trial.
- Free shipping and returns.